Chatra Ramai Pandit Mahavidyalaya was established on 1st march 2000 and it was the Memorial Day for the people of Bankura district and specifically for the whole (Chatra and surrounding villages) area. It was named after the famous poet and the composer of shunya purana, Ramai Pandit and he was the resident of this region. It is the result of a prolonged and painstaking effort of many social workers and local people.
The college is situated at village Chatra, Krishnanagar mouja of district Bankura with an ideal natural ambience. It is located at a distance of 27 km from Bishnupur and 15 km from Kotulpur.
Chatra Ramai Pandit Mahavidyalaya is located in the outskirts of a grove of Eucalyptus and Seal trees in the Lego Gram Panchayat in the Kotulpur Block under the Bishnupur Subdivision of the District of Bankura. The budding institution is the fruit of industry given by some local education enthusiasts who sacrificed their valuable time in raising contributions from people of various ranks and classes belonging to the locality with the aim of providing higher education to the students of a region neglected and backward, many of whom were first generation learners. The institution started in a single building with only seven students. Gradually, with aids from the State Government and local bodies the building expanded with its own laboratory and library facilities. Presently, it has an area of 11.3 acres with two separate two-storied buildings, it has a playground flanked on all sides by Eucalyptus trees.
This State Government aided institution is registered on 17th August, 2007 under Sections 2 (f) and 12 (B) of the UGC Act of 1956. The college is affiliated under the Burdwan University from 2000 to 2016 and from 2107 it is affiliated under the Bankura University.